Thursday, August 26, 2010

Buffalo Chimichanga

After three states of corn as far as the eye can see South Dakota is a refreshing change. Don’t get me wrong, the corn was sort of amazing but one state would’ve sufficed.  South Dakota, so far,  is composed of endless rolling hills. Some of these are completely covered in Sunflowers. The highways are straight lines connecting the occasional gas station, the standard speed limit is 75mph (65 in construction zones). The temperature has been ranging between 75 degrees during the day down to 60 at night  and the sky is flawless.

Last night we stayed in a little town which borders the Badlands called Wall. We rolled in about  9:30 and began our search for food in this town which was no bigger than 5mi squared. We stumbled into a cute little log cabin called “Red River” , cluelessly we stood waiting to be directed to a table. I, at this point, noticed a rather large woman sitting alone, a bleach blond, bouffant -like puff atop her head. She had on light cotton patterned cropped pants, turquoise in color with a design I would liken to bubbles. What she wore up top is what drew me to her in the first place. It was a hot pink tie-dyed over-sized tee, the sleeves and bottom  shredded and then tied into little knots secured with a small beads. The a,rm openings were quite low hit somewhere mid-side-belly. So the question arises-”Does she or does she not have on a bra” because all I could see was flesh tone. At that a slightly surly waitress tosses us two menus and tells us to sit wherever. Tonight’s specials: Buffalo chimichanga and Cod sandwich (note: this is South Dakota) and has not touch a body of salt water for at least multiple millions of years ago.

There is an extensive beer list, who knew Bud and Miller had such a vast array of varietals. So I took a chance, I asked our waitress, age 15 what sort of beer the Grain Land beer was. I immediately saw a veil of puzzlement pass over her eyes and before she could speak, I interjected “Light or Dark”. Alas, the veil did not lift, “I don’t know, the cooler’s right over there . . .(long pause) I’ll go see”. 30 seconds pass, “It’s light, I mean, it looks light”. “I’ll try it.”

Corinne orders the Buffalo Chimichanga and I the Red River Burrito. I thought I would have a burger but they charged an extra dollar for lettuce and tomato. When it arrived, we saw that they were served with a side of hash rounds which were reminiscent of tater tots therefore good for nostalgia’s sake but still incongruent.  The chimichanga, typically deep fried seemed merely dipped in cooking oil. I, on the other hand, faired a little better with my burrito. It passed as food and filled my belly without incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment